Human Resources 101
March 22-23, 2018 AND August 9 - 10, 2018
9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Offered twice in 2018! This critically acclaimed business seminar is a two-day program that provides an opportunity to gain the legal knowledge and practical skills to help individuals new to the HR field. The program is paced for anyone with new HR responsibilities , including non-HR managers and supervisors, department secretaries, administrators, administrative assistants, or anyone with an interest in gaining HR knowledge and skills. Benefits include:
- Gain a thorough understanding of accepted HR policies and procedures and employment law.
- Acquire tools to protect your organization from serious risk.
- Develop skills that will increase your value to your department and organization.
This two-day program provides proven, practical applied employment law and effective HR practice education that quickly provides the tools you need in a format you can relate to. We've organized this course to give you what you've been looking for — clear, concise information that gives you the practical do's and don'ts of smart employee management. In a few enjoyable hours, you'll not only know the steps that help keep an employer out of trouble, you'll understand why best practice makes sense.
View printable brochure.
Day One: The Layperson's Short Course on Applied Employment Law
- The Legal Arena and the Evolution of Employment Law
- Employment-at-will and Its Exception
- Discrimination — What It Is, What It Is Not
- The Do's & Dont's of Interviews, Ads, Applications and Offers
- The Alphabet Soup of HR — From the VII to FMLA
- Expressed & Implied Contracts and Their Impact on Employment-at-will Case Law, Civil Law and Burden of Proof
- Performance Improvement, Disciplinary Action and Risk Management
- Sexual Harassment
- Defamation & False Light — Avoiding the Tarnished Reputation
- Termination — The Art of Parting Gracefully
- Record Keeping 101 — A Strategy to Provide Notice
- Exempt & Non-Exempt Designations and Their Impact
- The How and Why of Effective Investigations
- Strategies for Avoiding Invasion of Privacy
Day Two: Understanding the Process of Effective HR Practice
View printable brochure.
- The Business Process and Business Cycles — How They Impact a Company's HR Needs
- The Evolution of the HR Profession
- An Overview of Core HR Competencies
- Relationship Development — Strategies for Providing "Valued" Value
- Recruiting & Retention
- Compensation & Benefit Issues and Answers
- Training & Development
- Record Keeping — An Outline of What to Keep and Commonly Accepted Record Retention Strategy
- Risk Management — Policy, Safety and Fairness
About the Speaker
JIM VANCE, PE, SPHR
, is a former HR director who came from an engineering and operations background. He has worked for Fortune 100 companies and small business, managing line operations. He has supervised office staff and production crews. He is a former top presenter for a national seminar company who has addressed business audiences in more than thirty states. He is president of Advanced Business Resources, a Houston-based management and communications training company, and draws on his experience to bring life, humor and realism to this important subject.
Payment is due with registration. No POs or requests for invoicing can be honored. Checks should be made payable and mailed (to be received no later than 7 days prior to the start of the class) to:
5001 LBJ Fwy Ste 800
Dallas, TX 75244
214.631.4533 - Fax
IMPORTANT: Advance registrations are required. To receive cancellation credit, you must send your cancellation request in writing to DallasHR no later than 7 days prior to the start of the class. There will be no refund if cancellation is received within 7 days of the start of the class.