The Room Where It Happens: HR Leadership Lessons
Hear from three local HR executives reflect on their successes and challenges throughout their careers while discussing how you can become strategic and impactful as an HR leader for your organization. During the hour, participants will hear three Lightening Leadership Lesson focusing on everything from how Chief Learning Officers (CLO) are reinvesting in their teams, to leveraging culture, and core values to make an impact on your organization.
Lightening Leadership Topics & Presenters
- The CLO Mindset, Presented by Shawn Storer, Former Chief of People and Culture for Dicky's Restaurant Group
- What challenges are Learning & Development professionals facing? What are the solutions to crucial barriers and how can we connect and work together to move forward? Learn insights from the Spring 2019 Chief Learning Officer Forum on the importance of meeting your learners where they are, tailoring learning to individuals, and how to get executive buy-in for your development initiatives.
- Got Values? Presented by Sandra McLean, SPHR, VP of Human Resources for Parker University
- Many, if not most, organizations have stated values. But are your organization’s lived values the same as the stated values? Whether our organization has stated values or not--as HR professionals it’s up to us to either help reinforce the existing values – or help create values that will drive a high-performance company culture. Learn which metrics help determine whether a re-set of values is necessary and how to integrate those values into the infrastructure to help support culture.
- Leading X, Y, Z and Beyond, Presented by Sharon Virk, VP of Human Resources for Clear Channel Outdoor
- A challenge over the next decade will be attracting and retaining a multi-demographic workforce, particularly as the labor markets continues to tighten. How do we increase our leaders’ generational intelligence to lead our future workforce? Gain an understanding of generational differences, and learn strategies for cross generational leadership.
- Describe why engagement initiatives often fail
- Define and understand organizations where employee engagement is high
- Identify top trends impacting the future of employee engagement and how to prepare for the future
About the Speakers
Influencer & Consultant
Shawn Storer Creative Leadership Solutions
Selected as one of the Top Leaders in Learning & Development, 2019, Americas, Shawn Storer is making a profound and lasting impact on the L&D world. With a diverse background comprised of unique experiences and trailblazing successes, Shawn has become an influential thought leader in the areas of culture, strategy, learning and development, talent acquisition, talent management, talent development, human resources, benefits and compensation. A highly sought-after collaborator and partner, Shawn is a frequent guest speaker, offering expertise on culture and core values among other topics. His inspiring keynote addresses have led him to chair multiple international Chief Learning Officer style forums and symposiums. He is truly a modern-day renaissance man and is a #creativeleader who believes in #creativeleadership.
Shawn has pioneered global solutions, resulting in significant improvements for multiple companies across disparate industries. His programs have created direct lift in sales, operational efficiency, profitability, quality adherence, training compliance, leadership engagement, culture fit in hiring, customer satisfaction, and employee engagement.
Sandra McLean, SPHR
Vice President of Human Resources and Organizational Development
Sandra McLean, SPHR, serves as Vice President of Human Resources and Organizational Development for Parker University. As a member of the executive team, she brings 20+ years management experience in business and human resources. She has a passion for developing people and helping employees align with organizational objectives. As a certified senior HR professional, McLean has a broad and deep understanding of her profession and is a certified facilitator and mediator. Her skills have been utilized in domestic and international arenas.
In addition to her leadership roles in human resources, Ms. McLean has also taught leadership courses for the University of Texas-Pan Am CE department.
McLean is a founding board member for Women with Promise; a Dallas-based non-profit organization focused on helping at-risk teenage women and children. She’s also a court-appointed special advocate (CASA) for Tarrant county. In 2013 she was honored as a North Texas Human Resources Professional of the Year finalist. McLean has served on the board of directors for the Coppell Chamber of Commerce and is past president for The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). In addition, she’s mentored at-risk teenagers with Fort Worth ISD’s Absolute Excellence! Program. McLean holds a Master in Business Administration from Texas Woman’s University and Bachelor of Arts degree in communication studies from the University of North Texas.
Vice President of Human Resources
Clear Channel Outdoor
Sharon Virk is a result driven, strategic, trusted advisor with 10+ years proven expertise in global HR business partnership, talent acquisition & training & development in media, CPG, retail, logistics & oil/gas industries. Sharon joined Clear Channel Outdoor in 2013 and as the VP of HR, she provides consultative support in the attracting, retaining, developing, and divesting talent domestically and in Canada.